Is your computer running slower than it should be? Do you often get mysterious error messages? Are you not able to run certain programs? If so, then there is a chance that your computer is infected by a virus. This is one of the major problem faced by almost all users across the globe. There are many kinds of viruses, worms and trojan that may infect and harm your computer. Some are harmless, but, they do have the capacity to do any number of nasty things including erasing all data from your computer and multiplying its own copies. However there are many ways by which you can keep these viruses and worms away from your PC. Here are 12 ways to maintain a virus free computer.
1. Email is one of the most common way by which your computer can be infected by a virus. Its always recommended to stay away from SPAM. Best way is to open only emails that you receive from trusted sources such as those which come from your contact list. Best way to reduce spam is by using email filters in your email. If you are using your own private email host (other than yahoo, hotmail, gmail,etc.) then it is highly recommended that you use a good anti-spam software. And finally at last NEVER EVER click on any links that comes from untrusted sources.
2. Always be careful about using MS outlook. MS outlook is more susceptible to worms than other email programs,unless you have efficient Anti-Virus programs running. Use Pegasus or Thunderbird (by Mozilla), or a web-based program such as hotmail or gmail (In Firefox). Its better that you uninstall MS outlook from your computer.
3. USB thumb/pen drives/flash drives is another common way by which a virus can spread rapidly. Its always a better idea to perform a virus scan before copying any data into your computer. You should NEVER double-click a pen drive to open it. Instead you can right click on it and select the option “explore”.This is a safe way to open a pen drive. Another way to safeguard computer is by using Usb Disk Security in your computer, it can scan for viruses and also turn off autorun of usb drives.
4. As we all know, Internet contributes as the major source of all the malicious programs including viruses, worms, trojans, malwares, etc. In fact Internet contributes up to 80% of virus infections. So here are the tips to use safe surfing in order to cop away virus spreading from internet. • Never click on pop-up windows that announce a sudden disaster in your city or announce that you’ve won an hourly prize. They are the ways to mislead Internet users and you should never trust them. • You can also use a pop-up blocker to automatically block those pop-ups. • Use Mozilla firefox as browser your default, as it has various add-ons that may help you.
5. Most of us use search engines like Google to find what we are looking for. It is quite obvious for a malicious website to get listed in the search results. So to avoid visiting those untrusted malicious websites, you can download and install the AVG LinkScanner which is a freeware. This tool can become very handy and will help you to stay away from malicious websites. You can also use firefox add-on such as Dr.Web anti-virus link checker or Viral Threat Level which will scan the files you are about download.
6. Another important way to eradicate virus from your PC is by installing a good antivirus software and keeping it updated. Also perform full system scan periodically. It is highly recommended that you turn on the automatic update feature. This is the most essential task to protect your PC from virues. If PC security is your first option then it is recommended that you go for a sharewareover the free ones.
7. Also Install a good Anti-spyware program, that operates against Internet malware and spyware.
8. Never open any email attachments that come from untrusted sources.Especially if it is a picture, text or sound file (these attachments end in the extensions .txt, .jpeg, .gif, .bmp, .tif, .mp3, .htm, .html, and .avi), you are probably safe, but still do a scan before opening.
9. You must Set up your Windows Update to automatically download patches and upgrades because This will allow your computer to automatically download any updates to both the operating system and Internet Explorer. These updates fix security holes in both pieces of software.
10. Do not use disks that other people gave you, even from work. The disk could be infected with a virus. Of course, you can run a virus scan on it first to check it out. Its better to turn off auto-run of disk, pen drives and floppy disks in order to ensure more safety.
11. While you download files from un-trusted websites/sources such as torrents, warez etc. make sure that you run a virus scan before executing them.
12. And finally it is recommended not to visit the websites that feature illegal/unwanted stuffs such as cracks, serials, warez etc. since they contribute much in spreading of viruses and other malicious programs.
By following the above steps correctly and perfectly you can ensure safety to your computer. If you have any doubt or you need any help regarding this post please put a comment so that we will notice it and help you.