We all know Snapchat was the first social media platform to introduce the phenomenon of stories. Following the footsteps of Snapchat, Instagram – a widely popular photo-sharing social media platform acquired by Facebook – also introduced its own version of stories known as Instagram stories. Later, Facebook launched the stories on its own platform as well as on WhatsApp which also happens to be acquired by the social media giant.
When Instagram stories made its debut, not many people believed it to have become the next big thing. Ardent Snapchat users did not want to switch to any other platform to share their pictures and videos with their friends. However, Instagram stories becoming widely popular within a short span of time came as a surprise to a lot of people. Not many people had thought it would outdo Snapchat’s success rate at one point.
Introducing the Poll Feature
What distinguishes Instagram stories from any other social sharing app are the interesting features in it. Every now and then Instagram adds up cool new features, stickers, and filters inside the stories. Recently, a poll feature has been incorporated into the stories.
This poll feature is basically an interactive poll sticker that allows you to ask a question from your friends and followers and then see the results as they begin to cast their votes. Users can also add emojis in the poll sticker. It’s important to realize that just like the stories, the poll will disappear after 24 hours.
How to Use the Poll Feature
The following steps will help you understand how to use the poll feature on Instagram stories:
1) Open the Instagram app on your device – be it a mobile phone, tablet, etc.
2) At the bottom of the app, tap the Home tab.
3) To create a new story on Instagram, tap your profile picture icon in the top-left corner of the screen or simply swipe right.
4) Add an image to your story. You may either capture a new photo or select an existing photo from your photo library.
5) After inserting the picture into the story, tap the Emoji icon at the top-right corner and then from the volley of stickers, tap the poll sticker.
6) Once the poll sticker has been added into the story, you will be required to type your question and then offer two options to your friends and followers. Since this poll is binary, you can only give two options as of now.
7) After your poll question is ready, tap next, select ‘Your Story’ or any group or a particular person you’d like to share your story with and then tap Send to publish your story.
After your poll becomes active, you can actually see how your followers are responding towards the poll in real time. To check this, simply open your story and swipe up to see the list of viewers and how each of them has responded to your poll.
This feature is really helpful as it allows you to interact with your followers and friends and seek their help while deciding about a particular thing.