Yesterday night was one night of a tough battle for me,though I emerged victorious in the end. when I bough my Netbook i looked among the specifications and was so glad to see it have bluetooth 3.0 enabled. My pain plan was to pair it with my nokia phone so i can text from my computer even while working, avoding the troubles of typing on the phone keypad. Well i first operated my system using linux mint and i had no troubles with the bluetooth. After a while , i got bored since my fav software nokia ovi suite don’t have a linux version. So I made the switch saying good bye to my movie collections and everything on the 160 gb single partition hdd to switch to a Windows 7 installion.
The shiny new windows 7 just made my life so lot easier but one thing troubled me was the bluetooth. Am not sure why it was not working. I downloaded drivers from brodcom , done all samsung updates and everything i could and still no luck. So i decided to switch back old usb cables for the connection. then like for last two weeks i was thinking of re-installing OS , but then again the though scared me. Anyways yesterday night due to some inspiration from no where i decided to give it all and try my luck with the bluetooth and i finally got it working. so now a enjoying the connectivity, attending calls and texts from computer and everything. So thats the story part,what i wanted to share was all the research i done for this thing.
Some Advantages Of Bluetooth or Some Crazy Ideas
My college is not so happy with students using mobile phones in class or campus. well think of keeping the mobile in bag with bluetooth on and pairing with PC. Since i can get away with using laptop, I can text using the mobile in bag too working on PC and you got your phone along with you.
Both are on battery low mode and you got a single power socket near you. Keep the mobile in the next room connected to the socket and enjoy the fun of SMS chats and web chat at the same time.And more than all this ,say good bye to the wires and feel free , avoid the tangled mess of gadgets, just your computer can be to the key to any other device around you.
How to Resolve Your Laptop Bluetooth Connectivity Problem
Most of the laptops comes along with inbuilt bluetooth today and might be having a genuine os. So an update can fix your problems. Anyways infact only 1 out of the 10 systems be having a problem so if its allready working you are good to go.
If your system got a bluetooth slot and don’t have the chip installed then you contact your hardware vendor, he will help. If your’s don’t have one then get a bluetooth dongle its pretty cheap and wil power up your computer.
STEP 1 – Part A : Check For Driver Problem Or Update The Driver
Now if you got an inbuilt Bluetooth and its not working . then here is the end results of my research.
- Check for driver problems. ie, most of the manufactures offers all necessory drivers system specifically on their website , go on and download , and install this might get your bluetooth to work ( for me this didn’t help)
- Now if that don’t work try the chip manufactures site for the drivers.
STEP 1 – PART B : Use External Software To Update the Driver
Now of all forums I surfed, I found this method suggested for most bluetooth related problems, though i didn’t give it a 100 percent try.
- Just go and uninstall all drivers related to blue tooth in your system and then reboot. the system will prompt your to install the Bluetooth device just click ignore.
- Now go to this site and get this freeware BLUETOOTH INSTALLER and install this might clear away the trouble.
STEP 2 : An Alternative – Use Manual Driver Installation Using Device Manager
Now this is what I did for my Samsung n148 netbook was that I uninstalled all the Bluetooth drivers on the system and rebooted. The windows promoted me with bluetooth driver install. I allowed windows update to search for the drivers and it Installed all drivers except bluetooth peripheral devices drivers. I again came back to my good friend google and got the solution for that .Here’s what I did to connect my mobile to My Netbook using Bluetooth Dongle.
1) First of all you would need to Download the ‘Windows Mobile Device Center’ .
2) Now Install the downloaded software. Vista will automatically configures the settings for your bluetooth devices but for Windows 7 you would need to do the following steps:
- Go to ‘Control Panel‘ and take ‘Device Manager’. Or you can right-click on ‘Computer’ Icon & choose ‘Properties’ and then take ‘Device Manager’. Now You will see ‘Bluetooth Peripheral Device’ under ‘Other devices’
- Right-Click on it and Click “Update Driver Software”. This will bring up the Update driver window.
- Now Click on “Browse My Computer for Driver Software” button.
- And then Click on “Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my computer”.
- Now Select ‘Bluetooth Radio’ from the list if it is asking you to select and then after selecting, it will show you a list of drivers with Company Names in one and Drivers name in another list. In the Company List choose ‘Microsoft Corporation’.
- From the drivers list there may be one or more drivers with the name “Windows Mobile-Based Device Support” with different driver versions. Select one or the latest.
- Ignore any warnings that you may get and keep pressing next and then Finish at last. If all goes well, the last screen will show the message that device driver is successfully installed. ( Click ‘YES’ in the box )
- Now, after manually updating the driver for your bluetooth device, in ‘Device Manager’ when you click on ‘Bluetooth Radios’, it should display one more item which will say ‘Windows Mobile-based device support’.
Here is some few things that you should pay attention to, if you have already added your required device in your ‘bluetooth device list’ and if it didn’t work, then try to remove the device and add it once again. After this you would need to restart your computer if it gave any connection error message.
If you have used ActiveSync in the past, you would certainly love this package(Windows Mobile Device Center). Actually ‘Windows Mobile Device Center’ is the successor to ActiveSync. It is designed to synchronize various content including music, video, contacts, calendar events, web browser favorites, and other files between Mobile devices and the Windows operating system.
Things to Consider Trying if the Connection Still Fails
I’d like to point out something here in case you have tried some trial version of bluetooth software that you can get from online. Some of these trial software ( ie. Bluesoleil ) disable your ‘Bluetooth Support Service’ ( a core service that is essential to run your bluetooth device in Windows ) when the trial period expires. I have also seen people jumping into conclusion after using trial version that without paying for it their bluetooth device would never work. So make sure ‘Bluetooth Support Service’ is running and set to ‘Automatic’. You can find that service by going to
-> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services (select it from the list)
For Those who get Connection Failed Error :
There’s a chance that the phone that you have paired with your computer before may not pair with your computer, if you are trying to pair again using any other account in the same computer. This is most likely because the phone will already be storing the MAC address in its memory of the computer account which you paired in the beginning. This is because when the devices pair with each other, they store each others MAC addresses and consider the MAC address of each devices that it pairs as unique.
you can Solve this problem by 1st removing the particular paired item or remove all the paired devices in your mobile and Try to Pair it again.