'FOSS' :The movement of software freedom
One of the very important factor that deserved by humans is Freedom. Many Battles were done ,many were fought and many gave their life for freedom .Now a days this word has got a very important place in our life especially in the field of computers since we cannot live with them ,The one and only term by which we can describe the freedom of softwares is FOSS (Free and Open Source Software )
What Did we mean FOSS ?
FOSS is a combination of two concepts free and open source. FREE refers to the freedom of copy and re-use the software as we like. The term Open Source describes practices in production and development that promote access to the end product’s source materials.
FOSS is the software that is liberally licensed to grant users the right to use, study, change, and improve its design through the availability of its source code. Now a days this approach has gained very big impact and acceptance in the computer world.
The concept of FOSS was there from the beginning of computer industry but it remained just as a concept. Then it was generalized and
conceptualized by FSF (Free Software Foundation) which is a non-profit corporation founded by Richard Stallman on 4 October 1985 to support the free software movement, a copyleft-based movement which aims to promote the universal freedom to create, distribute and modify computer software.
WHY FOSS GAINING POPULARITY ?
1. It is completely free, so nothing illegal here, so free from piracy.
2. It gives freedom to modify the software up to any extend since the source code come with it. We can customize the system as we like and make it our own.
3. The above reason causes creation of highly improved versions of softwares in low cost .
4. The license must not require the exclusion of other software or interfere with the operation of other software.
5. The incrementing support of public as well as corporates due to Less virus attacks and enhanced security.
In the current world the users and developers for FOSS increment daily since they had been realized the advantages and benefits of free and open source software. So it is important that we should have an idea about the same. I hope the above article will help you to do so.