If you are a type of person who likes everything organized, then you would definitely want to know about the folder feature in Android. The feature allows you to keep similar apps in one folder, giving you the convenience and organization you desire. You can name the folder according to the apps present in it, and also add or delete apps from it. This guide will teach you everything there is to know about creating and managing the folder feature.
Creating a New Folder
- Go to the app drawer, and then tap and hold the app you want to add to the folder. You may create a new home screen for keeping the folder, or you may add it place it on an existing one.
- Wait until all home screens start to float at the bottom of screen. Drag and drop the app on the home screen where you’ll be creating the new folder.
- Now go to the respective home screen and tap and hold the app you just moved. A menu bar will pop up with an option to create a new folder.
- After you select the option to create a folder, another window will open, prompting you to enter the name of this new folder. Type the name and press OK.
- The folder will be created.
Adding Apps to a Folder
- Go to the app drawer and hold the app you want to add to the newly created folder. Wait for all the home screens to appear and then drop the app in the folder.
- A shortcut will appear on the folder.
- Open the folder to confirm that the app has been successfully added there.
Removing an Application from the Folder
- Open the folder from which you want to remove the app. Hold the app you want to remove and drag it outside the folder to the home screen. It will be removed from the folder and will move to the home screen. Its shortcut will be removed from the folder automatically.
- You can also delete the app from the folder or home screen by holding and dragging it to the Remove icon located at the top-right corner of the screen.
Deleting the Folder
- Go to the home screen where the folder you wish to delete is present. Tap and hold it until the Remove icon appears. Drag and drop the folder on the remove icon to delete it permanently.
Changing the Name of Folder
- Tap and hold the folder to bring up a window with the option to edit the name. Replace the existing name with the new name and press OK.
Note: The procedure and screens may vary, depending on your Android device and firmware version.