All those who are Ubuntu fans may be knowing that ubuntu uses only one default theme at startup . I was just bored with my current startup theme and wanted to find whether there is any way to change my startup theme like we could change in XP using tuneup utilities. After some long searches , I found a way to change the startup wallpaper or login screen in Ubuntu (linux).
This is for those who did not like the default one and make their machine their own. Here is a method to change the login screen wallpaper in ubuntu . Definitely there are 3 or more but I am going to discuss about the very simple one.
STEPS TO CHANGE THE STARTUP LOGIN SCREEN IN UBUNTO
1. Copy the wallpaper you want in as your startup background to your Home folder. Make sure that it is of .JPG format.
2. Move your wallpaper ,run following command in terminal.
(to open terminal go to Applications->Accessories->terminal )
sudo mv ~/your-wallpaper-name.jpg /usr/share/backgrounds
3. Run the following command to activate the Appearance window upon login
4. Now close the terminal and logoff .(If you can’t find your favorite wallpaper,click Add.
You should be able to find your wallpaper in the /usr/share/backgrounds directory).
5. Your login background will instantly change to the wallpaper you have selected. Now login to your account.
6. Open terminal in Ubuntu. Type the following command to deactivate the Appearance window upon login.
sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop
You are done ….Enjoy 🙂 And let me know your feedbacks about this post. Feel free to ask any doubts.