You need to care for your Mac. To keep it working well at times, you need to clean out the files or apps that you don’t need anymore.
Yes, you should learn how to free up space on Mac. Furthermore, you need to do it regularly for you to optimize your Mac to work at its peak condition.
This article will show you how to do it with iMyMac Mac Cleaner. This particular program will make it so much easier for you to free up space on your Mac. You will also learn of other ways to free up space on your Mac.
Part 1. Why it’s Critical to Free Up Space on Your Mac
It’s a no brainer. If you don’t free up space on your Mac, it’s going to slow down. When it does, the apps won’t work as well. You will have a hard time opening up an app and getting some work done. In a nutshell, your Mac is going to be pretty useless.
Signs Your Mac is Slowing Down
If you don’t believe that your Mac is capable of slowing down, well, look out for these signs.
· A Noisy Fan. Is your Mac’s fan suddenly noisy? If your once quiet Mac is making a lot of noise, don’t ignore it. That’s a clear sign that it’s slowing down.
· Crashing Mac. If your Mac or some apps are suddenly crashing, pay attention to it. That is one of the signs that it’s slowing down.
· Battery Issues. If you can’t get your Mac to work the long hours without being plugged in, then that’s another clear sign that it’s slowing down.
How to Check for Space on Mac
You can’t just rely on the signs that your Mac is slowing down. You’re better off knowing how to check for space on your Mac. The steps below will show you how you can do it.
· Take your cursor to the Apple logo and click on it. Then select About This Mac from the drop-down list.
· Click on the Storage tab when the new window appears. The Storage tab is the third one from the left.
· Take a look at the first one that appears on the list. It’s going to be your Mac and it’s going to show how much space it has. Keep in mind that you need at least 75 gigs of free space on your Mac to keep it from slowing down.
Part 2. The Most Efficient Way to Free up Space on Mac
There is an easier way to learn how to free up space on Mac. All you need is a program called iMyMac Mac Cleaner. It is a powerful, not to mention, effective program than can help you to free up space on your Mac.
iMyMac Mac Cleaner up Close
Take a look at what the Mac Cleaner from iMyMac can do for you.
· It shows you how much space you have on your Mac.
· It scans your Mac for those files, extensions, and apps that you no longer need.
· It cleans out those unneeded files, extensions, apps from your Mac with just a couple of clicks.
How the Mac Cleaner Scans and Cleans Out Useless Files, Extensions, and Apps
The Mac Cleaner from iMyMac boasts of a list of modules that effectively scans and cleans out your Mac in a matter of seconds. You will see below the list of modules the Mac Cleaner from iMyMac comes with.
· System Status is the first module on the list. This particular module is what you need to click on if you want to see how much space you have on your Mac.
· Photo Cache is the module that you need to clean out the caches that come with all the photos that you download on your Mac.
· Mail Trash comes in handy when you want to clean out mail attachments.
· Trash Bin module takes care of your Trash without you having to navigate to it.
· iTunes Junk cleans out this particular app so that you don’t have to worry about doing it yourself.
· Duplicate Finder scans your Mac for those files that have been duplicated over time.
· Large & Old Files cleans out those kinds of files.
· Similar Image Finder scans and cleans out those redundant images on your Mac.
· Uninstaller is the module that you need if you need to remove an app that you haven’t used in a long time.
· Extensions is the module focused on cleaning out your browsers. It scans your Mac for all those extensions that you have added on to the browsers you use. Then it cleans them out as well.
How to Use the Mac Cleaner to Free up Space on Mac
You have seen how iMyMac Mac Cleaner up close. The steps below will show you how you can use it.
1. Go to the iMyMac’s Website
2. Select a Module
3. Start Scanning
4. Review Files and Click on the Clean Tab
The detailed steps below will show you how you can use the Mac Cleaner from iMyMac.
Step 1. Go to the iMyMac’s Website
Go to the iMyMac’s website. You have the option to try it out for free. Choose whether you want to try it out for free or buy right away. If you click on the Buy Now tab, you will see how affordable the iMyMac Mac Cleaner is. Once you’re done downloading it, install and open it on your Mac.
Step 2. Select a Module
Once you launch the program on your screen, you will see the list of modules on the left-hand side. To see how much space your Mac has, select System Status. Once you click on it, it will show you how your CPU is doing and how much memory your Mac has.
This particular module will also show you how much space you have in your disk. You won’t have to navigate to certain parts of your Mac.
Step 3. Start Scanning
To start scanning your Mac, click any of the modules under System Status. For example, if you want to scan for those apps that you haven’t used in a long time, click on the Uninstaller. Once you click on it, you will see a Scan tab on the right screen. Click on it to start scanning.
Step 4. Review Files and Click on the Clean Tab
Wait for a couple of seconds for the scan to finish. Once it’s done, you will see a list of apps that have been installed on your Mac. Review the list and select the ones you want to remove.
Then click on the Clean tab that you see on the bottom part of the screen. You would have to confirm your action by clicking on the Confirm tab that will show up in the pop-up message.
That’s all it takes to use the Mac Cleaner from iMyMac.
Part 3. Other Ways of How to Free up Space on Mac
There are other ways you can free up space on your Mac. Below is a list of the various ways of how to free up space on Mac.
#1. Manage Storage
You can manage your storage on Mac. Just follow the steps below.
· Take your cursor to the Apple logo on the top menu. Click on About This Mac.
· Click on the Storage tab to see how much space you have used up and how space is still available on your Mac.
· Then click on the Manage tab you see on the far, right side of the screen. You will see a list of recommendations as to how you can manage your storage. Select a recommendation and enable it.
#2. Empty Your Downloads Folder
· Launch Finder by clicking on the icon on the Dock. Then look for Downloads on the left-hand side of the screen. Click on it.
· Take a look at the list of all the files that will appear on your screen soon as you click on Downloads. These files could be documents, photos, videos, and apps.
· Move the files you no longer need anymore to the Trash. Then open up your Trash folder and click on the Empty tab you see on the top, right-hand side of the screen.
#3. Check Storage to See What’s Taking Up a Lot of Space on Your Mac
· Go to the Apple logo on the top menu and click on About This Mac. Then click on the Storage tab.
· Wait for the calculation to finish to see the exact location on your Mac that’s taking up a lot of space.
· Once the calculation is done, you will see how much of your documents, system, and apps are taking up space on your Mac.
#4. Clean out Apps in the Applications Folder
· Launch your Applications folder by clicking on Finder. Then click on Applications on the left-hand side of the screen.
· Review the apps and choose the app that you want to delete. Then type in the name of the app that you want to uninstall on the Search bar on the top, right-hand side of the screen.
· Then click on the little + sign you see on the top, right-hand side of the screen. Then take your cursor to the field that’s labeled Kind. You will see this on the top, left portion of the screen. Click inside the screen and choose Other.
· Type in system in the search box. You will see system files on the screen. Click on it and then click on the OK tab.
· Change the field that says aren’t included to are included. All the files associated with the app you want to delete will show up.
· Type in your username and password to delete all files. Then delete all the files that end up in the Trash.
Part 4. Conclusion
It’s up to you as to how to free up space on Mac. Sure, you can always do it manually but that will eat up a lot of your time. Just imagine what you can do with that time. You can be more productive than that.
The iMyMac Mac Cleaner is what you need to free up space on your Mac. It’s very easy to use and it finds all those files, apps, and extensions with just a click on a certain module. There’s no need for you to open up the many folders on your Mac.
How do you go about freeing up space on your Mac? Would you consider using the Mac Cleaner from iMyMac? Feel free to share your thoughts with us.