Is your romance with your iPhone beginning to fade because of the latter’s limitation to Apple-approved apps? If the lack of freedom on iOS, particularly 8.0 and above, is starting to make you fidgety and even frustrated over not being able to download apps from anywhere but the official App Store, but you’re nevertheless desperate to save the relationship, then an untethered (cable-less) jailbroken device seems to be the only viable solution. We can’t unreservedly suggest that you break down Apple’s walled-garden as the process voids your warranty, increase security risks, and, if not carried out carefully, even brick your phone, turning it into nothing more than a paper-weight. However, if you understand the risks and are comfortable with them, then here’s a tutorial to walk you through the process of jailbreaking your iPhone with iOS 8.0 and above using a Windows PC.
- First things first, you need to make the necessary preparations on your iPhone and PC before you begin with the jailbreaking process. Remove the lock screen passcode and turn off Touch ID via Settings>Touch ID & Passcode. Switch off the “Find My iPhone” feature by going to Settings>iCloud and then tapping the relevant switch. Furthermore, switch to Airplane mode by swiping up on your screen to open Control Center and then tapping the airplane icon. You will also need to have an iTunes restored version of iOS 8 or 8.1 on your device for a successful jailbreak. Perform of a backup of your iPhone, lest something goes wrong and you end up with a bricked device. Go to Settings>iCloud>Backup and then tap the “Back Up Now” option. Last but not the least, make sure you have iTunes 12.0.1 or a newer version installed and running in the background on your PC throughout the entirety of the process. You can get the latest version from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.
- After you’ve taken care of all the pre-requisites, go to Pangu team’s website and download the latest Windows version of their jailbreak tool on your PC. Launch the software by right-clicking on its icon and clicking the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Once you’ve launched Pangu on your PC, connect your iPhone via USB.
- Give the software a few seconds to detect and identify your device. Once it’s done, click the blue “Start” Jailbreak” button. Click “Already did” on the next screen to start the process of breaking Apple’s walled-garden.
- Sit back and relax while the tool does its thing. The iPhone will reboot a few times during the process. It’s normal, so no need to panic when you see it happening.
- Once the process is complete, you’ll see “Jailbreak succeeded” on the PC screen. You will also notice a Pangu app, as well as a Cydia app on your phone’s homescreen. Cydia is one of the most popular alternatives to Apple’s App Store on jailbroken iPhone and the ideal place for you to go to for nifty apps and tweaks. Enjoy the freedom.
Also Read : How To Jailbreak an iPhone with iOS 8.3/8.4
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions very carefully in order to avoid running into any complications. Also keep in mind that you can un-jailbreak your phone too, though through a slightly different process.