Drop is a popular cloud storage service, offering various features like storing documents online, editing files, and sharing files and folders with other users, etc. It can be used for personal as well as professional purposes. If you are looking for a reliable platform to keep your confidential documents safe, then you must try Dropbox. Here is how you can use the service.
- Go to www.dropbox.com and press the download button. The downloading process will start immediately.
- Dropbox offers three packages, namely Dropbox Basic, Dropbox Pro, and Dropbox for Business. Select the package as per your needs. If you want to keep your personal files only, then 2GB package is enough, but if you need space for business, then it’s better to select any of the other two packages.
- The downloading process will complete immediately after you select any of the three packages offered by Dropbox. A new folder named ‘Dropbox” will appear in My Computer. You can either log in through Dropbox website or open this folder to add or remove content from it. Every file with a marked with a green tick would be saved on cloud.
- You can log in to Dropbox by going to its website and entering your email and password. You’ll be taken to the main dashboard.
- The first icon on left named “File” offer options for adding, deleting, moving and sharing files, be it be an image, Word document, or any other file. Press the first icon among four different icons. It is used to add any file.
- Select the file you want to add in Dropbox.
- You can add more than one file at a time.
Files and Folder Sharing
- With Dropbox, you can share your files and even folders with anyone even if they do not have a Dropbox account. They will get an invitation for sharing folder on their email address, after which they will have to complete the sign-up process for getting access to shared folders. In order to send invitation, just go to Sharing and click ‘New shared folder’.
- Dropbox will ask you if you want to create a new folder and share it, or if you want to share any existing folder. Select the option as per your need and click Next.
- If you are creating a new folder then you will be asked to enter the folder name. Enter the name and then click Next again.
- Enter the email address of the people with whom you want to share a folder. If they do not have Dropbox downloaded on their computer, then they will first have to complete the sign-up process and download Dropbox in order to get access to the shared folder. You can share the folder with more than one person.
- The new shared folder will be added to the Dropbox.
- Click on “Options’ written in front of the folder. A pop-up window will appear, showing the names or people who are sharing the folder, along with the owner of the folder. Select the name of a person and press unshared folder in order to stop sharing the folder with that particular person.
- If you want to share any document with a user but he neither has Dropbox installed nor is he interested in downloading it, then you may simply send him a link to the document. Dropbox creates a unique link to every file. Instead of sharing a heavy file, just go to Links and share its links with the person. You can access it from the menu panel on the left side of the Dropbox interface.
- Simply enter the email address of the receiver along with an optional message and press send.
- The Events section give details about different changes recently made on Dropbox like sharing a folder, adding a folder, adding a file, etc., along with the date and time of each event.
Note: Dropbox sends a notification to the user the minute any other user makes changes to the shared folder. This feature allows you to know what other users are doing with the folder.