Many industries rely on membrane filtration systems to perform a number of functions such as purifying liquids or concentrating proteins. A membrane filtration system can speed up processes, reduce waste, and more. Below is a quick snapshot of how companies are currently using membrane filtration.
- Cheese production – Membranes are widely used by the dairy industry in cheese production. A membrane filtration system can separate whey proteins from leftover whey as well as clarify and reuse brine.
- Automotive painting – Using a membrane filtration system equipped with an anode cell and a paint tank, the automotive industry can electrocoat paint onto a car’s metal parts by dipping the part into a solution containing water and paint solids. Electrocoating produces a consistent paint finish and is less harmful to the environment. Leftover paint solids are recovered and reused.
- Life science – From purifying antibiotics and vaccines to separating blood serum and blood plasma, the uses for membrane filtration are numerous. Drugmakers can quickly purify drugs, concentrate enzymes, or separate proteins, clotting agents, and antibodies from liquid solutions.
- Food and beverage production – Food and beverage manufacturers use membrane filtration systems to clarify and sterilize wine and beers, purify liquid ingredients, create concentrated liquids, and more. For example, a membrane filtration system can be used to concentrate and clarify corn syrup, gelatin, and juice. Natural polymers and xanthan gum can also be separated and concentrated using membrane filtration systems.
- Energy production – The oil and gas industries use membrane filtration to purify water used in oil extraction. This water is initially loaded with polymers before being pumped into oil wells to bring oil to the surface. By using a membrane filtration system, the polymers can be reclaimed and wastewater cleaned. The gas industry uses filtration to the fermentation broth used in ethanol production as well as to clarify the final product.
As you can see, a membrane filtration system has many uses. Many industries use membrane filtration to filter, separate, and concentrate particles from a liquid solution.
Travis Radford is an author and recognised authority in membrane filtration. He has provided his expertise to several industries such as the food, dairy, and beverage industry utilizing resources from Synder Filtration. Feel free to follow him on Google+.